Skip to main content

Monet's Gardens at Giverny

December 2018


At the end of the year we often look back on events and reflect on our lives. This year I am reflecting on a trip I was blessed to have taken to France in the summer of 2015. It was the trip of a lifetime to Nice and Paris and a cruise through Southern France (Provence) with stops in Lyons and Avignon and several other towns. The photos in this blog entry are photos I took at Monet's Gardens at Giverny, one of my favorite parts of the tour. Giverny is outside of Paris and is where Monet painted some of his works. 

My sister Barbara Ponce, who died in the summer of 2013, and whom I still miss terribly, gave me the money that made this tour of France possible. I use these photos as a screensaver on my computer so I never forget the beauty I saw that summer. 

I had always wanted to see Paris, and I know now why people love to go there. It is a beautiful city. We went to see the palace of Versailles and its gardens also, which were entirely different from these.  


Monet's Gardens at Giverny


With the recent violence in France, I am  grateful that I traveled when I did. The year I went was only one year after becoming a Master Gardener of St. Johns County, so I appreciated the work required for the beauty I saw at Giverny. They have volunteers who maintain the gardens there.  




Monet's Gardens at Giverny

What will be the thing you most remember about 2018? Where did you see God in your everyday life? These final days of the year are a good time to reflect and give thanks for what has been 
and to look forward to what is yet to come. 

The love of family and friends and my Sisters of St. Joseph are what I am most grateful for in my life. May the gardens of our lives be enriched by the variety of persons we encounter just as these lovely gardens are enriched by the variety of flowers in them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fratelli Tutti calls world to live Gospel values Crape Myrtle bloom in Motherhouse gardens in spring. In his recent encyclical, Fratelli Tutti , "On the Fraternity and Social Friendship," Pope Francis calls the world to meet the challenges of Gospel charity. Using the parable of the Good Samaritan and many other sources, he urges us to a change of heart, attitudes and lifestyles.  Reading this during the COVID-19 pandemic and a presidential election year in our country, it was easy to see how the world would be a much better place if we tried to live as the Holy Father suggests. In Chapter Six of the encyclical, "Dialogue and Friendship in Society," the pope brings out the need for dialogue, which he defines as "approaching, speaking, listening, looking at, coming to know and understand one another, and to find common ground." This kind of dialogue is not accomplished through social media. At the end of Chapter Six is a section entitled "Recovering K
  Why Joseph? Statue of St. Joseph and Child Jesus in front foyer of Motherhouse. During this Year of St. Joseph in the Diocese of St. Augustine, I thought a blog entry on how the Sisters of St. Joseph received their name would be fitting . S ince October 15, 1650, is recognized as the official founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Le Puy-en-Velay, France, I decided to post this on October 15, 2020, 370 years later.   In researching this topic, I found a page on the Philadelphia (Chesnut Hill) Sisters of St. Joseph website that was written by Sister Dolores Clerico, SSJ, one of their members who is familiar to our Congregation since she has spoken at our Assemblies, and even led a Congregational retreat one summer at Marywood.  According to Sister Dolores, St. Joseph was in the shadows before the 16th century. St. Teresa of Avila, the discalced Carmelites, the Jesuits and Franciscans and many newly-formed confraternities of Catholic laity in Europe began to promote devotion to St. J
October 2018 Do you like to look at old photos? Most of us do, even though the quality of the photos may have faded over time. Here I am at about age 11 or 12 standing with my Mother and my sister Barbara's mother-in-law, Mrs. Leila Ponce, in Mrs. Ponce's front yard in north Jacksonville. My Mother, Grace Stovall, is holding my first nephew and her first grandson, Patrick Ponce, in her arms following his baptism, I believe. This was around 1960 or 1961. See the old cars behind us? My nephew had to find a copy of his baptismal certificate recently because he plans to get married in April in a Catholic church up in North Carolina. He was baptized in our home parish, Holy Rosary, in Jacksonville. At this time I was a student at Holy Rosary School. My parents allowed me to go there after it opened, which for me was when I was entering fourth grade. My first teacher in Catholic school was Sister Philip Neri, an Irish Sister of St. Joseph who died tragically in an automobile cr